16 março 2007

VITAMEDIAS

Time: A New Chapter
This issue of TIME marks a new chapter for us. The magazine has a new look and structure. Every issue of TIME tells a larger story about the world we live in, and we wanted to create a design that would best present that story. It's part of a series of changes--beginning with the shift this past January of getting the magazine to you before the weekend--that we are making to create a TIME that is more meaningful and more forward looking. Yet even as we modernize the design, we are also harking back to our roots.

A nova:


A velha:


[act.: this week's cover of Time Magazine features a photo-illustration of Ronald Reagan shedding a big and, if you ask me, totally over-the-top tear, accompanied by the headline "How the Right Went Wrong." This morning, I spoke to Tim about how he simulated the tear, and what he thinks of all the controversy.

Me: Great job on the tear. Tell me all about it.

Tim: I did my first Time cover in 1989: I painted a teardrop on George Washington’s face – this was sort of pre-Photoshop. Back then, I painted about ten teardrops with different backdrops. Since then I’ve done about ten Time covers. This time I was working on something that didn’t end up being the cover story. The art director called and asked if I wanted to revisit that [1989] tear. It fit the story that they wanted to do about Reagan. ]