25 maio 2005

VITAMEDIAS

Bloggers Take Center Stage: "Never underestimate journalists' desire to read about themselves," said Ana Marie Cox, editor of Wonkette.com, who took pains to examine why blogging is different from traditional media and how it isn't.

Once blogs 'change everything,' fascination with them will chill: Don't get me wrong ? I like blogs. Because I write this column, I get to read about my work in blogs.
In fact, let's create an Alice in Wonderland moment: I'm writing about reading about my columns in blogs, which bloggers will inevitably post. So now, I'll be able to read a blog about my writing about me reading about my writing in blogs. [...]
So, yeah, blogs are cool. Anything that gives people a voice benefits society and makes us all better and smarter ? and, as bloggers have proved, makes established information outlets more accountable. But blogs don't seem to be the second coming of the printing press. They're just another turn of the wheel in communications technology.

Journalists, public on different pages: A national survey of 673 journalists and 1,500 adults finds a wide disconnect between journalists and the public ? both in their views of journalism and in their personal views. [...]
"As journalists, we need to recapture the lost ground not only by holding ourselves to higher standards, but by educating the public as to who we are, how we work and why what we do makes the country better," [Bob Zelnick, a former ABC News correspondent who teaches journalism at Boston University] says.